What the Bible says about Giving
Theology of Christian Grace Giving:
“There is one who scatters, yet increases more: And here is one who withholds
more than what is right, but it leads to poverty”.
Prescription for Grace Giving:
“Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given orders to the
churches of Galatia, so you must also do: On the first day of the week let each
of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no
collections when I come.” – 1 Corinthians 16:1-2
- Giving should be regular
”First day of the week”
- Giving should be systematic
“Lay something aside”
- Giving should be proportionate
“As he may prosper”
Attitude in Grace Giving:
So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of
necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. – 2 Corinthians 9:7
- Cheerful, not grudgingly! Willingly, from the heart
Exodus 25:2, 35-36:2, Ezra 2:68-69
- Non-compulsive, by force, emotionalism, pressure, guilt!
- Motivated by love and generosity
Luke 21:1-4 widows mite, 1 Corinthians 13:3
- In secret
- Give with simplicity
Romans 12:6 NKJ
- Give honestly
- Give freely
- Give because of Agape Love
1 Corinthians 13:3
What Grace Giving is Not
- An ” investing” formula for material goods/wealth
- “To get something back”
- Manipulated, motivated, or coerced by emotional appeals
- Impulse by tradition, customs, or ritual
- Out of peer pressure, ”Everyone is doing it!”
- When giving is not in accordance to your prospering
- “Removing” guilt (thus the term ’guilt-money’)
Grace Giving Criteria:
- Regeneration-You must be born –again! A personal-relationship with God
- Understand the principles and standards of grace giving.
2 Corinthians 9: 6-15
- Must posses Christian maturity.
2 Corinthians 8:5
- “No strings attached”-giving without hidden agendas.
- Grace Giving is something we are, not something we do.
Failure of Honoring God with Grace Giving:
- We rob God!
Read Malachi 3
- Forfeit the blessings promised in
- Contradiction – To claim to have experienced the grace of God in forgiveness and yet be ungracious is a contradiction of New Testament truth, “Freely you have received, freely give.”
- Suspended growth-Failure to thrive to Christian maturity
- The sin of forgetfulness
Our universe operates under both physical and spiritual law, so is the law of giving a spiritual law.“For with the same measure you use, it will be measured back to you” – Luke 6:38.
Paul said it this way, “He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully” – 2 Corinthians 9:6
This law of giving is demonstrated in agriculture. If you plant a field of corn and are frugal in the planting seed- perhaps you plant each seed two feet apart instead of six inches—you’ll reap a sparse crop. If you sow sparingly, you’re going to reap sparingly. But if you sow bountifully, you’ll also reap bountifully. That is exactly God’s law of giving. A lot of times it is difficult to understand how these spiritual laws operate. And because we don’t see how they could possibly function, we say, “Since I can’t understand how that works, I am keeping my money.”
The Rock Christian Fellowship
P.O. Box 32648 Newark, N.J. 07102
(973) 955-6700, or email us at email@example.com